Brownfield Grants for the 1000 Block of South 4th Street
City-Owned Property Address
|1000 South 4th Street||Non-monetary transfer in 2023|
|1002 South 4th Street||Tax certificate assignment in 2019|
|1004 South 4th Street||Purchased in 2020|
|1006-1008 South 4th Street||657A process completed in 2021|
|1010-1012 South 4th Street||Tax certificate assignment in 2019|
This entire block has not been maintained for many years and the buildings have fallen into disrepair. These buildings are contaminated with hazardous substances (asbestos) which makes this entire block unsuitable for redevelopment without remediation.
The City of Clinton applied in November 2022 for Brownfields Clean-up Grant from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The City was subsequently awarded a $500,000 EPA Brownfields Cleanup Grant. This grant will assist the City in demolishing the structures along this corridor as well as a reuse planning to help prepare the area for redevelopment. The City will then seek a developer to redevelop the property along this final stretch of South 4th Street.
The City has also received financing from East Central Intergovernmental Association (ECIA) Brownfields Coalition Revolving Loan Fund to assist in covering eligible cleanup expenses. The Brownfields Revolving Loan fund is funded in part by EPA.
Clinton residents who live in these target areas were encouraged to attend the meeting held by the City of Clinton on October 19, 2022 at 5:30 PM at City Hall located at 611 South 3rd Street in the Council Chambers. All residents were encouraged to provide their thoughts on the grants and redevelopment for these target areas by taking the survey.
On August 11, 2023, a building at 1006-1008 South 4th Street, owned by the City, unexpectedly collapsed. The building was posted against trespass and secured against unlawful entry. The City planned to demolish the building, but due to the large expense of demolition and the lack of available tax dollars, the City applied for and was awarded a $500,000 EPA Brownfields Cleanup Grant in June of 2023. The City has begun the Federal process to work on remediating and demolishing the structure. 1000, 1002 and 1004 South 4th Street were demolished on August 28-29, 2023, pursuant to EPA and Iowa DNR guidelines. The debris was tarped and will be removed once the City can complete the competitive bidding requirement to remediate the remainder of the site.
The City will be holding a public input information session on October 11, 2023 from 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM in the Council Chambers of City Hall (611 South 3rd Street). The public is encouraged and invited to attend. The public is encouraged to provide any feedback to the Community Development Director throughout the course of this project.
- City of Clinton FY23 Assessment Grant Application - FINAL
- City of Clinton FY23 Cleanup Grant Application - FINAL
Property Valuations & Photos
- 1000 South 4th Street (a/k/a 413 10th Avenue South) - Assessor Report
- 1002 South 4th Street - Assessor Report
- 1004 South 4th Street - Assessor Report
- 1006-1008 South 4th Street - Assessor Report
- 1010-1012 South 4th Street - Assessor Report
Site and Investigation Reports:
- Engineer Report: 1002 South 4th Street
- Engineer Report: 1004 South 4th Street
- Engineer Report: 1006-1008 South 4th Street
- Engineer Report: 1010-1012 South 4th Street
- Structural Engineer Report: 1000, 1002, 1004, and 1006-1008 South 4th Street - August 2023
Phase I and Phase II Reports:
- Phase I ESA: 1000 - 1004 South 4th Street
- PHASE I ESA: 1006 South 4th Street
- Phase II ESA: 1000-1006 South 4th Street
- Phase I ESA June 2022 - ECIA: 413 10th Avenue South (former 1000 South 4th Street)
- Phase I ESA - Update August 2023 - 413 10th Avenue South (former 1000 South 4th Street)
- Phase I ESA - 1010-1012 South 4th Street
- Asbestos Inspection: 1010 - 1012 South 4th Street
- Cleanup Plans & Standards Used - Coming Soon
- Site-Specific Sampling and Analysis Plan (SSAP) - Site-Specific Sampling and Analysis Plan (SSAP) - 413 10th Avenue South / 1000 South 4th Street
- Air Sampling Plan for 1000, 1002, 1004 and 1006-1008 South 4th Street - August 2023 (Phase I)
- Site Quality Assurance Project Plan (SQAPP) - Coming Soon
- Analysis of Brownfields Cleanup Alternatives (ABCA) - ABCA Draft: South 4th Street (Final Document: Coming Soon)
- Community Relations Plan - Coming Soon
- Public Comments and Responses
- City Decision Memo - Coming Soon
- Cleanup Completion Report - Coming Soon
Site Reuse Visioning and Traffic Review Study
- Clinton South 4th Street Revisioning Plan - Adopted by the Council on May 23, 2023
- May 23, 2023 City Council Meeting Agenda, Video and Minutes
Site to remain until 01/01/2029